1. push yourself to get up before the rest of the world - start with 7am, then 6am, then 5:30am. go to the nearest hill with a big coat and a scarf and watch the sun rise.
2. push yourself to fall asleep earlier - start with 11pm, then 10pm, then 9pm. wake up in the morning feeling re-energized and comfortable.
3. get into the habit of cooking yourself a beautiful breakfast. fry tomatoes and mushrooms in real butter and garlic, fry an egg, slice up a fresh avocado and squirt way too much lemon on it. sit and eat it and do nothing else.
4. stretch. start by reaching for the sky as hard as you can, then trying to touch your toes. roll your head. stretch your fingers. stretch everything.
5. buy a 1L water bottle. start with pushing yourself to drink the whole thing in a day, then try drinking it twice.
6. buy a beautiful diary and a beautiful black pen. write down everything you do, including dinner dates, appointments, assignments, coffees, what you need to do that day. no detail is too small.
7. strip your bed of your sheets and empty your underwear draw into the washing machine. put a massive scoop of scented fabric softener in there and wash. make your bed in full.
8. organise your room. fold all your clothes (and bag what you don’t want), clean your mirror, your laptop, vacuum the floor. light a beautiful candle.
9. have a luxurious shower with your favourite music playing. wash your hair, scrub your body, brush your teeth. lather your whole body in moisturiser, get familiar with the part between your toes, your inner thighs, the back of your neck.
10. push yourself to go for a walk. take your headphones, go to the beach and walk. smile at strangers walking the other way and be surprised how many smile back. bring your dog and observe the dog’s behaviour. realise you can learn from your dog.
11. message old friends with personal jokes. reminisce. suggest a catch up soon, even if you don’t follow through. push yourself to follow through.
13. think long and hard about what interests you. crime? sex? boarding school? long-forgotten romance etiquette? find a book about it and read it. there is a book about literally everything.
14. become the person you would ideally fall in love with. let cars merge into your lane when driving. pay double for parking tickets and leave a second one in the machine. stick your tongue out at babies. compliment people on their cute clothes. challenge yourself to not ridicule anyone for a whole day. then two. then a week. walk with a straight posture. look people in the eye. ask people about their story. talk to acquaintances so they become friends.
15. lie in the sunshine. daydream about the life you would lead if failure wasn’t a thing. open your eyes. take small steps to make it happen for you. —
A self care list. I’ve been working on this. I promise it’s worth it.
A self care list. I’ve been working on this. I promise it’s worth it.
This is obviously a list of self-care idea for completely able, straight, cis, financially secure people who live with a lot of privileges and a helluva lot of obliviousness. This is not a self-care list for whom self-care is most important and most difficult.
So I thought I’d make some corrections:
1. Getting up earlier than you need to may be depriving you of sleep you desperately need. Circadian rhythms are a thing. Get up when you need to, when it is good for you to get up. Getting up earlier is not more virtuous than sleeping in. You’re not a better more vital person if you wake up at the crack of “why the fuck am I awake”. You’re just a person who’s up earlier. If your body needs to say, “sorry, we don’t open until 9:30”, that is fine. You are not somehow failing at being beautiful and meaningful in your self-care
2. Try to get the sleep you need. It varies from person to person. Some people genuinely work better on a late schedule and staying up until 2am and being able to sleep later on is healthy for them because their internal clock runs that way. Going to bed early is not a virtue. It’s just a time to go to bed. It’s more about time and quality achieved than when you clock in and out of consciousness. Never you mind the people here who have jobs that require double shifts or “hey, you’re working late and closing tonight” type jobs. I’ve had those jobs. Those jobs where you didn’t get to lock up and get to your damn car until 11pm and you still had ten things to do at home.
3. Cooking is nice. Learn what you can. But if you need to eat a breakfast bar or a donut or something you just stick in the microwave, that is okay. This “fry tomatoes and mushrooms in real butter and garlic” thing is bullshit. If you like that, if you have time, if you have that much left in your kitchen, if you know how, go for it. But don’t feel like you’re doing self-care or recovery wrong because you’re not making a professional 2-course breakfast with chopped fruit and croissants for yourself every day. Or any day. Try to learn cooking that works for you if you can’t. But eating food that’s presented to you as fancier and better and more wholesome just because of how it was made is not all that useful. Eating, like sleeping, is about amounts and quality needed and that varies person to person. And also, getting to enjoy it.
4. Stretching is one of those things you don’t just do because someone makes is sounds romantic. For a lot of people with disabilities, you gotta be damn careful. How about asking around (if possible) and finding (if possible) movements that feel good to you. Me? I chair dance. I boogie in my chair. Because I have a cyst on my spine and stretching is not a harmless prospect for me right now. But if I don’t have to put all that weight on my lower half, my upper half can go for the beat.
5. Cursory searches find that you’re at least paying a fiver (US) for that shit which is equivalent to almost 4£. And it varies, depending on your country. So if you should happen to need that money for frivolous things like medicine, food, or shelter, it might not be feasible. Unless you wanna just repurpose a 1L soda bottle. And if you do, awesome. Congratulate the hell out of yourself for being resourceful, you resourceful person. But how about this? Drinking water is not a chore. This is not the Insanity Workout for hydration. Just drink water when you feel you need it. You are not failing at self-care if you’re not somehow training marathon-style for drinking goddamn water. Also, this again is not a harmless prospect for disabled folks with certain problems with balances in sodium and what not.
6. Or not. Diaries aren’t for everyone. It’s okay to blog. It’s okay to tweet if that’s more accessible. Especially if doing so is less frustrating and rage inducing than trying the pen and paper thing. Also, buy a plain old notebook, a cheap as hell notebook so you can just scrawl and scribble and fuck that shit up and not feel bad about it. Sometimes you need to just write FUCK YOU LIFE FUCK YOU I HATE YOU real big. Write whatever the fuck you want in it. If you think a detail is too small, that’s fine. Paste in things if writing and language aren’t working out for you right now. I’ve done this when I couldn’t (due to meds and my bad brain) articulate words. I had the fortune of scoring a bunch of old free modern art magazines that were getting thrown out and there was a picture of a cunt. Being able to paste that in and know that it was what I wanted to say (in the way the picture was composed, etc) was a big relief. Either way, you are not required to record the minutiae of your day as part of your ~beautiful and life affirming~ self-care. Draw on other surfaces and stuff if you can. Old newspapers, magazines. Get an old magazine and a marker and start telling the pictures exactly what you think about it. Draw on styrofoam cups. Or don’t.
7. Wow, this person really doesn’t understand spoons. Look, trying as much as you can to tidy up and keep a clean space is a positive thing, I’ll grant you. But if you need to just let the bedsheets stay there, you’re actually doing self-care very well. Knowing limits and respecting exhaustion is key. If laundry is not something you’re up to do, especially bedsheet laundry and re-putting on bedsheets (which can be fucking difficult for even abled people), that’s fine. Not everyone has a laundry/drier in their dwelling. Some people gotta lug it down two flights of stairs and then up a block or two and spend enough quarters to equal a newborn’s weight. If you are not in a position to do that, it is okay. Febreeze that shit if it isn’t something that will hurt you (some people do have allergies/sensitivities). Or find some herb you like, make satchets (what they’re called) to put under bed sheets. Let that sit. Come bedtime, just toss the satchets somewhere else. Putting them permanently in clothing drawers is also good. I did this. It was (for me) a piece of piss. Get some dried lavender or dried sage or dried rosemary or whatever thing that smells like what you like, put it in some cheese cloth (found at WalMart, Target, even grocery stories and runs you somewhere between 2 to 6 bucks US depending on how many yards you buy), tie that motherfucker off or rubber band it and stick them wherever. Not gonna lie, the lavender helped me sleep better. But whatever. If you can’t do this, recognizing that and not letting it shame you is AMAZING self-care.
8. Again, this person doesn’t understand spoons. Ugh. All that is tiring and impossible for me right now. You know what did work? Cleaning just my desk space and allowing myself to have a junk drawer (which is just an old tupperware container that fits under a shelf on my desk so it looks vaguely drawer like). I will vacuum tomorrow when I am in less pain. I will clean the mirrors when I can stand and move long enough that I can think straight. And I don’t like scented candles over all, they give me headaches. Do what you can. Be proud of it. If all you can do is vacuum a small room, you look at that room and give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy the fruits of your labors. Enjoy that you did it. Just enjoy how it looks. It doesn’t need to be more than that. It can just be this one thing you did REALLY WELL.
9. Physical self-care is important, but sometimes it’s all you can do to get in there, get in the water, run a bar of soap across your body and get out. And that’s totally fine. Bathing doesn’t need to be a spa-like experience. And if you’re at a point where brushing your teeth is a distant memory, I know that place. For me, what helped me get back in the habit was not some “oh go do your beautiful lovely self-care thing” kind of motive. One day I did and then I realized I liked how smooth my teeth felt. So that’s why I’ve continued being able to do it more often. I just like how smooth my teeth feel.
10. FUCK YOU CREATOR OF THIS LIST. Going for walks for me is a choice between “not getting very far and feeling pathetic” and “getting father and being in so much pain I lose balance and nearly puke”. And even when it wasn’t, when I was fat, people in my neighborhood commented on me and my fatness and my trying to power walk and then learn to jog. Also, smiling at strangers pushes buttons I have concerning social anxiety, and it can be invasive at times to someone else’s space when they clearly want to be LEFT ALONE. And as for my dog? What my dog has taught me is that ALL THE THINGS CAN BE CHEWED AND EATEN, fetch sucks, tug rules, and there is no surface you shouldn’t pee on. And also that sticking your nose in someone’s butt or crotch is an acceptable form of hell. So come to my house, list maker, I will show you how my dog has taught me to put my nose in your crotch.
11. Maintaining relationships is good. And I don’t have a lot of argument with this except maybe ask yourself WHY you fell out of contact. Sometimes a weird and good side effect of being ill/disabled is that the people who were never gonna be helpful or a genuine support system just slide away. And if you’re anxious, that’s okay. If it turns out there’s no one you wanna revisit, that’s okay. But I’m not okay with the emphasis on “pushing” here.
12. Apparently there is no twelve.
13. This question bothers me a bit. Because reading isn’t always so great for people. Or so easy. Dyslexia anyone? ADHD? Or just plain old being tired as fuck. Feel free to substitute this for websites, movies, TV shows, comic books, graphic novels and other forms of media. Also, books of all kinds are not universally accessible to all people. Sometimes, people are limited to the library (if they’re lucky enough to have one). I suggest that you find what you can, in whatever form you can, and try it. And don’t be afraid to say “this sucks like an electrolux” and move on. This is not school, you are not obligated to finish bad books, bad movies, or bad anythings.
14. WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT EVEN MEAN, LIST MAKER? Fine, try to be a nicer person in traffic (if you even have a car, as opposed to bus riding and walking), that’s cool. What the fuck kind of advice is “pay double for parking tickets?” How the fuck are we supposed to afford the rest of your list if we’re doing that? Sticking out tongues at babies. Because it’s nice when a baby who’s finally calmed down, sitting next to an exhausted, overwrought mother can start crying again because your face made weird shapes that the child does not yet understand due to brain development. Fine, compliment people if you can. If not, it’s okay just to appreciate them silently. Maybe they don’t wanna have an interaction with you right then. Also, if you’re visibly queer or trans and don’t past (especially for trans women), making a compliment can turn into something horrible. Especially in a bathroom full of my fellow cis women who are transphobic as fuck and violent about it. And as for ridiculing, how about no. How about we DO ridicule the racists, the transphobes, the ableists, the government officials making life miserable for the most vulnerable of us. Why don’t we spend two weeks doing THAT. And a triple fuck you for “walk with a straight posture”. Scoliosis, motherfucker? HAVE YOU HEARD OF IT? I can’t even with this ableist oblivious crap. And the whole looking people in the eye, asking people about “their story” (WTF?) is not good self-care at all for some autistic people, people with social anxiety and others. Yes, you should try to reach out when and where you can but jesus, you can start smaller and you can WAIT TO SEE IF THE PERSON RECIPROCATES OR SAYS “FUCK OFF”.
15. You have obviously never heard of photosensitivity due to meds or other conditions or skin cancers. And fuck you for thinking it’s so easy if “failure weren’t a thing”. How about if oppressive motherfuckers who make everything from jobs to the mere act of eating MORE DIFFICULT AND SOMETIMES IMPOSSIBLE weren’t a thing. Hey, I know. I’m gonna lay in the sunshine and dream about a life I’d lead if I didn’t have mental illness. I’m gonna open my eyes and through small steps and life affirmation, my mental illness will just float away on a cloud of my happy thought.
[Image: A chalkboard sign that reads: Breakfast. A coffee $5. A coffee please $4. Good morning a coffee please $2.40. A picture of a coffee cup is beneath that as are the words: dinner special in other side.}
How To Train Your Humans
Am I the only person who disagrees with this type of thing? If you can afford to sell a coffee for $2.40, then how can you get away with selling the same thing for $5, just on the basis of politeness?
Also, yes, its nice to encourage manners, but if you respect your customers they’ll respect you back. If you try to effectively buy manners from them, they’ll just be bitter.
Yooooo, shut up.
*finds it ironic how someone with “socialist” in their URL disagrees with point about overcharging*
Homie, shit, shut up.
Think of it as a charge for rudeness instead of a discount for politeness.
So if you’re a person who has a legitimate problem communicating because of either a language barrier or because of A DISABILITY then you get charged more because you didn’t say the magic goddamn words? Because English isn’t your first language and so you’re doing really good if you can communicate that you’d like a coffee?
Or if god fucking forbid you had severe social anxiety and it was a big deal for you just to leave your goddamn apartment and go get a cup of coffee at all. But because you didn’t say the magic words because ANY words were difficult because you were doing good just getting coffee you get to pay more.
Fuck this shit that assumes that if you don’t perform politeness that you’re doing so because you’re just a mean person, that you OWE politeness to people right off the bat. No one is entitled to get a performance out of you or write in penalty clauses to a contract you never signed for NOT performing.
This is what this sign is. It is a penalty clause for anyone who doesn’t perform. It’s not a higher price on rudeness, it’s a way of punishing those who do not perform. And it is a fucking performance, because it means nothing. It doesn’t indicate respect, it doesn’t indicate that boundaries won’t be crossed. It just indicates that you’re performing.
If someone feels so entitled to you performing politeness in a certain way, they are full of bullshit and you should, if possible, just not deal with them.
So fuck this sign, I hope this place gets lots of complaints.
THIS JUST IN: only thin people are allowed to have chronic pain or chronic illnesses. Fat people with disabilities will be magically cured by weight loss. More at 11.
since that wage post is going around again here’s a reminder that it’s still legal in the US to pay disabled people 22 CENTS AN HOUR
Goodwill got shit for this for like five minutes but there’s a poster in the back room at my job that says the employer can literally decide how much a disabled worker makes if they want to.
Like, it’s just up to them. Theres no guaranteed minimum wage for disabled people.
Why the fuck does nobody know or care that this is a thing?
u know why
- never spray perfumes in public.
- never assume someone can walk with you somewhere. offer to drive, take a taxi or a bus. walking distance can mean different things to different people
- never assume concepts are “easy.” easy can mean different things to different people
- never sit in seating for designated disabled passengers.
- never complain about someone in front of you going slow or having to wait for someone who is moving slower than you. you don’t know what their needs are.
It would be nice if we could get people to understand that mental illness, like physical illness, can be fatal and that fatality is not the fault of the person who is sick. It would be nice if we looked at those people who’s illness caused their suicide not as selfish, but as people who were overcome by an illness they did not have the resources to adequately fight. I’d like it if people stopped trying to prevent suicide by screaming at already direly ill people to keep living so nobody has to feel sad, and think about everyone else’s feelings concerning their illness rather.
It’d be nice if they asked for the reverse, for all those people who we’re not supposed to hurt by taking our lives to think about OUR feelings and what WE’RE going through, to think about how sad they make us with the shit they do to us. It’d be nice if the advice doled out stopped amounting to, “I know you’re in the ninth level of hell right now, but keep dragging yourself over broken glass because if you stop, other people will have sad, upset feelings and that’s more important than the agony you’re in right now.”
It’d be just wonderful if, when someone did end up dying as a result of mental illness, we understood that it can’t always be successfully fought the way cancer can’t always be fought. It’s tragic and so horrible, but it’s not a sin or a shame.
And it would be even nicer if politicians and talking heads on TV gave a shit about mental health care without a mass shooting prompting it. It’d be nice if they mentioned that mentally ill people by FAR are more likely to be the victims of violence than the ones doling it out. It’d be nice if they didn’t wedge our need for care into a discussion about gun control so they can skew it their way. The bullets fly and they’re all nodding and saying, sadly and sagaciously, “We need to fix the mental health care system”. A system they don’t say shit about after the next news cycle.
It’d be nice if it wasn’t so painfully obvious that they’re cool with having a broken mental health care system. Just as long as the misery and need and pain don’t spill over into the lives of people they actually give a shit about. It’s fine if the system is broken to shards. It’s okay if people suffer because they can’t get what they need, or what they can get is abusive either by design or willful neglect.
And just to finish off, it would be fucking spectacular if people would stop using words that describe what the brains of mentally ill people do, what they are, what their realities are like as insults. It’d be nice if they didn’t take those words and use them to describe things that are no where CLOSE to the realities of the people who actually live it because it sounds funny or cute to them. Because it ain’t fucking cute.
This has been a furious rant from Madame Thursday, high queen of the Wall of Text. Enjoy your goddamn day. And take care of yourselves as best you can, if you can. And the ask box is open.
If you ever feel compelled to tell a disabled person that it’s all in their head, please stop. You don’t understand how fucking frustrating it is to have someone erase the suffering you go through day and night with one sentence.
Throughout England people are now divided into Pures and Crazies according to the results of a DNA test, with the Pures living in small Communities cut off from the madness of society, and the Crazies living outside the walls in the squalor and mayhem of the City. Until the age of fifteen, Ana has lived a privileged existence amongst the Pures, but her whole world crumbles when she finds out that there was a mistake with her Pure test. She is actually one of the Crazies, and one day in the near or distant future she will become sick. But Ana has already been promised to Pure-boy Jasper Taurell. Jasper is from a rich and influential family and despite Ana’s defects, wants to be with her. The authorities grant Ana a conditional reprieve. If she is joined to Jasper before her 18th birthday she may stay in the Community until her illness manifests. But if Jasper changes his mind, she will be cast out among the Crazies. As Ana’s joining ceremony looms closer, she dares to hope she will be saved from the horror of the City and live a ‘normal’ life. But then Jasper disappears. Led to believe Jasper has been taken by a strange sect the authorities will not interfere with, Ana sneaks out of her well-guarded Community to find him herself. Her search takes her through the underbelly of society and into the pits of the human soul. And as she delves deeper into the mystery of Jasper’s abduction she uncovers some devastating truths that destroy everything she has grown up to believe, but she also learns to love as she has never loved before.
What the everliving fuck.
I seriously want to look into the cultural phenomenon that’s producing authors who produce these books, because this shit got trendy all of a sudden (not that these messages are new; they’re not, but this is a very specific genre of fuckery we’re looking at here and there’ve been two nearly identical books in two months now)
I NEED BRICKS TO THROW AND FIRE AND MAYBE SOME FUCKING TACKS TO SPIT AT SOMEONE FOR THIS SHITTERY. FUCKING HELL SOMEBODY AT LEAST GET ME SOME DAMN REBAR OR SOMETHING.
I cannot even start, I just can’t. Seriously. “Crazies”?
Why is this fuckery even in existence?
- Holding down a job is not a measure of value.
- Attending school is not a measure of value.
- Whether or not you can “contribute” to society is not a measure of whether or not your life is valuable and worth preserving.
These are standards held up by a society values money and production over everything else. If you think life has any less value or worth because of an inability to do any of the above you re fucking wrong.
Okay. I’m going to try and articulate my rage.
Dammit, I can’t.
The fact that this human waste has the gall to say that the “pro-lifers” are appropriating and fetishizing disability, and then to go on to say “I know what it’s like to be disabled because I grew up poor-and I wouldn’t have chosen to be poor!” is so enraging to me I cannot even articulate it.
How many times can I say it?
I AM NOT SICK.
I AM NOT SUFFERING.
I AM DISABLED, AND MY LIFE HAS VALUE.
I AM ALSO A PERSON WHO CAN BECOME PREGNANT.
I AM CEASELESSLY ERASED IN THIS “DEBATE”.
I DO NOT EXIST IN THIS CONVERSATION EXCEPT AS A FUCKING RAG BETWEEN THE TEETH OF THE “DISABILITY IS A HORROR AND NEEDS TO BE ELIMINATED” PEOPLE AND ON THE OTHER SIDE “DISABILITY IS A BLESSING AND UTERUS’D PEOPLE SHOULD BE FORCED TO HAVE THEM” PEOPLE.
I FUCKING HATE YOU.
I FUCKING HATE YOU.
I FUCKING HATE YOU.
I FUCKING HATE YOU.
It is possible to choose abortion based on a positive screening for genetic disorders because you are morally opposed to inflicting suffering on others.
I support abortion for ANY REASON.
ANY REASON WHATSOEVER THAT BELONGS TO THE PERSON HAVING THE ABORTION.
That is not equivalent to turning the decision to abort a disabled fetus into a UNIVERSAL MORAL IMPERATIVE TO PREVENT SUPPOSED SUFFERING.
Pro-choice ALSO ENCOMPASSES THE RIGHT TO HAVE CHILDREN.
DO I HAVE A FUCKING MORAL IMPERATIVE TO NOT HAVE CHILDREN??? HMMMM?????
WHERE THE FUCK DOES YOUR ARGUMENT LEAD, BITCH?
As an advocate of Birth Control, I wish to take advantage of the present opportunity to point out that the unbalance between the birth rate of the “unfit” and the “fit”, admittedly the greatest present menace to civilization, can never be rectified by the inauguration of a cradle competition between these two classes. In this matter, the example of the inferior classes, the fertility of the feeble-minded, the mentally defective, the poverty-stricken classes, should not be held up for emulation to the mentally and physically fit though less fertile parents of the educated and well-to-do classes. On the contrary, the most urgent problem today is how to limit and discourage the over-fertility of the mentally and physically defective.
YOU MARGARET SANGER-ESQUE, EUGENICIST BUCKET OF HUMAN SHIT.
I get that who we are is shaped by experience and that many disabled people consider disability to be integral to their personalities – just as I see poverty as a formative experience for me – but I doubt they would have chosen to be disabled in the first place. Would they have voluntarily given up able bodies for the wisdom earned from being disabled? Would they refuse treatment, if it were available? Would they choose to suffer disabilities just so that their parents could have the “reward” and “special gift” of raising them?
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOUUUUU
Respecting the rights of disabled people does not mean honoring or celebrating disability itself.
The bolding isn’t even mine.
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOUUUUU
I support abortion for any reason.
I UTTERLY SHIT ON ANYONE WHO TELLS OTHER PEOPLE WHAT TO DO WITH THEIR BODIES.
GUESS WHICH ONE YOU ARE DOING YOU FUCKING SHAMING, MORALISTIC, EUGENICIST ASSHOLE.
I love how the school threatened to suspend the girl while refusing to address the audist bullies who bullied her and other girls for using American Sign Language.
Go fuck yourself, Stonybrook School.
Via ABC News:
School officials have threatened a hearing-impaired girl with suspension if she uses sign language to talk to her friends on the school bus, the girl’s parents say.
Danica Lesko and her parents say sign language is the only way to for the 12-year-old to communicate, especially while riding to school on a noisy bus.
But officials at Stonybrook School — which is not a school for the hearing-impaired — and district officials in Branchburg, N.J., apparently believe signing is a safety hazard. They have sent a letter to the Lesko family ordering Danica to stop using sign language on the school bus or risk a three-day suspension.
The March 30 letter from her principal that said Danica was “doing sign language after being told it wasn’t allowed on the bus.”
The Leskos may file a lawsuit over the sign language ban, claiming officials are violating Danica’s civil rights and violating the Americans with Disabilities Act.
“She has a hearing problem, and now she’s being punished for using sign language,” Mary Ann Lesko, Danica’s mother, told The Star-Ledger of Newark. “It’s absurd.”
Danica’s parents told the paper that other students who rode to school with their daughter made fun of her, and refused to stay in their seats as they teased other girls who were using sign language. They said school officials are singling out Danica and not addressing those who should really be reprimanded.
Schools Officials: Safety First
In a statement released through the school district’s attorney, David Rubin, the Branchburg Board of Education refused to discuss the details of Danica’s case, saying only that its version of events differs from the parents’ version.
However, the board insisted it has not violated anyone’s rights and is only trying to protect other students who must ride on the school bus.
“The Board is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to all students with disabilities, and is satisfied that there has been no violation of that policy in this case,” officials said in the statement. “The Board is also committed to assuring the safety of all students who travel on District buses, and will continue to take appropriate steps to accomplish that goal.”
One deaf-rights advocate said Danica’s parents have a strong basis for a lawsuit because sign language could be a considered a foreign language, and school officials could be violating the girl’s First Amendment right to communicate.
“Why should there be a ban?” asked Charlotte Karras, outreach coordinator for the Edison, N.J.-based Alliance for Disabled in Action. “It’s a violation of her communication rights. She’s said it’s the only way she can communicate with her friends … It’s [the ban] against the ADA and violates the First Amendment and her family can file a discrimination suit citing the Americans With Disabilities Act.”
Karras said her organization would be willing to help the Leskos with any legal action.
Danica’s parents say she began losing her hearing last November, when a classmate allegedly shot a bottle rocket near her ear. They have already sued the Branchburg School District over that incident.
wtf… a safety hazard? why, because folks are fuckin with her? and this AFTER a kid at the school fucked up her hearing in the first place?
Maybe if the bus monitors and and teachers told them lil muhfuckas to cut the shit it wouldn’t have happened in first place. and now they need to
tellmake those little assholes tostfu and leave her alone.
fuck is wrong with people.
things that are not inherently awful or something you should feel ashamed of:
- being white
- being male
- being cisgendered
- being straight or heteronormative
- being able bodied
- being neurotypical
- being conventionally attractive
things that suck and you should feel ashamed of:
- denying the privilege that comes with being any of those things
- attempting to highlight your thoughts, views, ideas, experiences, etc, over those of the people you have privilege over when discussing their oppression
- complaining whenever someone of the oppressed group calls you out
- mislabeling, misgendering, or using slurs to refer to said oppressed group
- trying to showcase your allyship by over-exaggerating your beliefs or vying for attention for acting like a decent person
it’s really that simple.
YES, THANK YOU.
I just want to send this memo out to everyone who thinks that being told, as a privileged person, to please SHUT UP is being told they should be ashamed for being privileged.
You can’t help being white. You CAN help acting like a jackass and treating others like shit. That’s the point. Recognize that you have privilege, that you shouldn’t, that it hurts others, and act accordingly.
Any day now they’re going to link every thing negative ever to obesity, decide we’re all suffering from autism & then declare martial law so they can control every morsel & every thought. I’m only half joking. These fuckshit studies just aggravate the shit out of me.
Where do I even start?
1. With the shaming of fat uterus-bearers who give birth. NOT ALL THOSE WITH UTERUSES ARE WOMEN, OKAY? Fucking hell. Let’s make sure we pile more guilt onto those who give birth, huh. Because we wouldn’t want to shift the focus to a society that basically craps on birth givers, ties their hands behind their backs, puts a two ton weight on their shoulders and then tells them to run a marathon without getting out of breath or they’re THE WORST PARENTS/BIRTH GIVERS EVER AND RUINING THEIR CHILDREN 4 LYYYYYYYYYYFE!
2. The extremely ableist idea that autism is so horrible and awful and unthinkable and monstrous that *gasp* we must find what causes it so that we can eradicate it from the human race because *gasp* teh_autizimmms_oh_noesssss!
3. If I had to pick one secret weapon of the kyriarchy that is currently doing untold damage, it would be PISS POOR SCIENCE REPORTING. That article is such bullshit. The title is bullshit, because if you scroll down you see that hypertension, gestational diabetes, anti-depressant use, and closely spaced pregnancies have also been indicated (NOT CONCLUSIVELY PROVEN) to be associated with autism, and even one of the researchers says that the study really doesn’t cause if it causes or is just related or not.
3b. Associated with and CAUSES are not the same fucking thing. Christ on a cracker, people. Corellation is not causation. It’s like saying that going to a hospital can cause a person to go into labor because so many people in labor are in hospitals. Umm, no. That’s not what causes that. At all. In fact, it’s the other way around. And that’s with something that we understand fairly well. Now, take a delicate, intricate, and multi-causal biological process and try to apply that logic. See how you could get some FUCKED UP RESULTS?
4. I just don’t even know HOW TO CAN WITH THIS BULLSHIT ANYMORE.
[photo: black and white image of a bearded, white, tattoo’d, bespectacled person wearing a black tshirt, overalls and cap, sitting in a motorized mobility scooter, clasping their hands together while smiling big, with their forearm crutches sticking up behind them; text reads: “Know what i’m tired of? Images of disabled people doing random things, turned into “inspiration porn”. These images (e.g. children joyfully running with their prosthetic legs, someone painting with their toes, an elder skiing, etc), are then emblazoned with text like “what’s your excuse?”, “your excuse is invalid”, “if ___ can do it, why can’t you?” and other gems. They call on non-disabled people to buck up and stop making excuses for not doing something, and guilt other disabled folks into feeling like crap for not being able to pull themselves up by the proverbial bootstraps & “just do it”. These images & sentiments are an ableist tool. They exceptionalize disabled people based in ablesist notions of accomplishment & worth. They build on & reenforce able bodied pitydom of gimps. Just fucking stop it ok? We’re just doing our thing, yknow? We are not a goddamn guilt-trip tool to get you to do stuff. Please, if you need to use gimps as a tool to get you to do stuff, yer using the wrong starting point. (*for example, in this photo, i am simply enjoying a moment with a friend… I AM NOT YOUR INSPIRATION!)”]
not sure why people would post this without the image description when there was one right there in the original blog post to use…
ableism— it’s not just lazy, it’s incredibly lazy.
I believe in…
Avocados, not Advil
Beans, not Benadryl
Cauliflower, not coedene
Dragonfruit, not Dramamine
Eggplant, not epitol
Flax seeds, not Fortical
Grains, not Glucotrol
Hummus, not heparin
Iceberg lettuce, not ibuprofen
Juniper berries, not jolessa
Kale, not Keppra
Lemons, not Lunesta
Mushrooms, not Motrin
Nuts, not Nolvadex
Oats, not oxycodone
Peas, not Prozac
Quinoa, not Questran
Radishes, not Ritalin
Spinach, not Sporanax
Tofu, not Tylenol
Ugli fruit, not Ultracet
Vanilla, not Valtrex
Watermelon, not warfarin
Xigua melon, not Xanax
Yams, not Yaz
Zucchini, not Zeltrixa
Food is the best medicine.
Speaking from the perspective of a potential future doctor, if ever you dare diss medicine and tout some strict hippie ~fuck medicine!!! natural foods ftw!!!~ lifestyle, I will shank you.
And then when you get sick, I will still offer to provide you care, because I am ethical, even if you are a dumbass who, to some degree, does not deserve the care and medicine I provide to you.
This world is not meant for all 7 billion people to live oh-so-happily off of only fresh vegetables and soy, because people get sick, and they will continue to get sick, sick to the point where they need medicine, not carrots.
How privileged of you to suppose that medicine’s value is easily beat by some good food? I like my food fresh and organic, too, but food has been around for countless eons, and advanced medicine has been around for only several centuries, comparatively. The rapid development of this world and standards of living is nearly simultaneous to the advancements and development of medicine.
Hell, people who lived farmers’ and cavemen’s diets (known today to be your typical all-natural, homeopathic diet) used to die of the common cold. And now they don’t. Why?
That is all.
For reals. Valid criticisms can be levied against our ridiculous pharmaceutical industry, but saying “fuck medicine yo!” outright is like no.
Tofu’s not going to get rid of a headache for you. I should know because I live in a place where there’s always fucking tofu and people always have fucking headaches.
that awkward moment when someone offers peas as a substitute for an antidepressant
You know, I am now up to three shots of heparin a day, which are, btw, seriously painful, in an effort to keep myself alive long enough to successfully deliver my baby. Hummus would not prevent me from throwing a fatal blood clot, because hummus does not have anti-coagulant properties.
Neither does watermelon, and thank god for warfarin, because once the baby is delivered I can STOP GIVING MYSELF SHOTS and go back to my normal oral medication, which I will need to use for the rest of my life to get the best possible chance of extending that life.
I would honestly like to smack the OP in the face. Or possibly give them a shot.
Like, seriously. Who is this big of an asshole?
I’d be shocked, but I’ve been a mom for going on 13 years now and I have met a lot of people who say this kind of dumb shit. I hate to break it to you bb, but the Hippie Mommy Mafia is everywhere & they will have plenty of things to say to you that are even more ridiculous about what you feed your kid.
So which food item would this list recommend to stop my furious eye twitching? Or for the resulting injuries when I fire FLAMING STONEWORK at people who take this shit seriously.
You want me to eat vegetables instead of taking psychiatric meds which are currently keeping me able to function? Fuck you. Fuck you fuck you. Just say that you want me dead because you think you’re better than me so at least you’ll be an honest asshole. Skip the song and dance. Just say it, okay? Just say, “Lol. I’m rich and privileged and so superior and my food is better. All these medicines that keep you inferior people around irritate me. Just die sooner, thanks!”
Because that’s what you really mean.