[Image: A small very light skinned child, seated, holding an iphone, having their bare back drawn on with colored markers by a hand holding an orange marker. The image being drawn is of a stereotyped native woman wearing an elaborate warbonnet.]
This is how racism starts.
This is how stereotypes are formed in the minds of children.
This is the start of the path that ends with hipsters in war bonnets frolicking in fields half-naked, carrying bottles of booze and getting self-righteously angry (And refusing to learn. And continuing to be angry) when they’re confronted.
When you only speak about Native American people in the past tense, in certain contexts. When you only mention them as pertains to White history. When you depict them in stereotypical ways. This is how it starts.
Depictions like this are hurtful. Teaching your child that this is what they should think of when they hear ‘Native American’ HURTS REAL NATIVE AMERICAN PEOPLE. It creates, in the mind of your child, a stereotype, a caricature, of what Native people do/should look like that erases us in reality and removes us from their perception of the modern world. It turns ‘Native American’ into someone wearing beads and headbands and feathers and face paint. It turns an ethnic, racial identity into a costume.
Here’s a quick checklist for whether it’s ok to wear a war bonnet:
Was it placed onto your head by an elder/legitimate authority figure from a select number of plains nations because you personally achieved something so great that it is worthy of that kind of honor? (corrolary: If yes to the above, are you currently wearing it in an appropriate ceremonial fashion/setting? Like are you at a powwow or speaking with the president?)
If you answered ‘no’ then IT IS NOT OK.
Any more than it would be ok to buy a decorated veteran’s purple heart that he had to pawn and put -that- on for a sexy/edgy/hip photo shoot. It’s that kind of disrespect, on top of the slap in the face that is cultural appropriation in general.
This is a fucking terrible thing to be doing to your child.
There are so many cute, beautiful, non-hurtful ways you could have inducted this child into Modern American Tattoo culture. Maybe try a fucking mermaid or something next time.
She’s not wearing a war bonnet though. It’s a drawing.
Also, something that bothers me about Tumblr’s dogpiling on any light-skinned person in proximity to a war bonnet is that it never seems to occur to them that they could themselves be Native. There are white-passing people who are half or quarter Native, too.
I think that is pretty cute to be honest. Not to mention impressive that its all done with markers. /kanye shrug
Moreover that he asked her “what do you want me to draw?” and she innocently said “Indians :D”
calm ur butts
A child innocently asked ‘Draw Indians’ and the artist chose to draw a busted-ass stereotype, thus teaching the child that that’s what ‘Indians’ means.
That’s several flavors of fucked up.
Even if the people in the photo are NDN, they’re still perpetuating hurtful stereotypes.
Bolded the true parts.
Also, when someone who is actually native - as moniquill is - tells you that something is a stereotype and it hurts, telling them to “calm ur butts” is silencing, dismissive, and perpetuating of racism. Because it just says “anyone who objects to getting treated like shit is not someone to take seriously even though they’re the authority on what ACTUALLY hurts them and what doesn’t.”
People, when folks like moniquill speak and say things and you’re white? YOU SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, AND LISTEN. You don’t tell them to “calm ur butts”. Go step on some legos, taterhater.
I think its great that moniquill is so passionate about her heritage that she feels the need to go on a personal mission to correct everyone that is politically incorrect, but you guys are forgetting that people wear these war bonnets because they are PROVIDED to them. They [at least most] don’t do it just to be racist dickheads. They see a product that a manufacturer has created and they buy it to play ‘dress up’, because they think they’re beautiful, or who knows, they may actually have Native American roots that they cherish and wish to represent that love with wearing a war bonnet [yes, even though it may not be the right thing to do]. Some view them as artistic pieces and use them as props and as much as you hate and despise these ‘white folks’ that you feel the need to correct about your heritage, it’s their right to wear them. There are no laws stating that they cannot wear them or even buy and destroy them just because they can.
Coming to tumblr will only get you so far in trying to get these stereotypes recognized and stopped. All its gotten you is a lot of back and forth banter and if you’re really passionate about this, I’m sure there are organizations you can join try and achieve your goal of political correctness.
My intention of posting this picture to tumblr was never to hurt anyone in any manner [and no, this is not me or my child in the photo], I simply thought that this was an amazing art piece because although you don’t like the subject, it takes talent to create something like this with such detail with a child’s drawing utensil and I’m sure [again, I could be wrong] the artist never had any intention of creating something racist, either.
And let me be the first to say that telling someone to sit down, shut up, and listen because they are white sounds pretty racist to me. You cant force people to listen and the worst way to try and explain your counterargument is to tell them to ‘shut up and listen’.
1. Intent is not magical. Just because you didn’t intend to hurt, anger, offend or otherwise act shitty towards someone doesn’t mean that you didn’t.
1b. “I think its great that moniquill is so passionate about her heritage that she feels the need to go on a personal mission to correct everyone that is politically incorrect, but” = dismissive, patronizing, and just plain fucking obnoxious. Really? You think that this is about her going on some political correctness crusade? Or did you just not bother to really read what she actually typed out. Because she said POINT FUCKING BLANK that this is something that HURTS. That these depictions are HURTFUL. So you’re taking something that was written because this picture is FUCKING HURTFUL and you’re turning it into “hahaha, it’s so cute you’re on your little crusade there that doesn’t actually matter because I won’t listen no matter what anyone says, but I’m going to use my privilege to invalidate your feelings and support those who rip off Native American cultures and use them as toys.”
2. That’s your argument? That it’s not racist because manufacturers provide these things to people? Seriously? Just because something is provided doesn’t mean you can’t be a racist douche in using it. And if you cherish your heritage so much, why aren’t you spending the time learning how to do that in a way that doesn’t hurt OTHER PEOPLE with that same heritage rather than just buying shitty headdresses and trying so hard to justify it.
3. Telling my fellow white folks to sit down and shut up is not racist because you can’t be racist against white people. There’s no such thing as a power structure that oppresses people and appropriates their culture and shits on them the way this picture obviously shits on various Native American cultures and teaches a child a very wrong idea about what an Indian is AS MONIQUILL SAID IF YOU’D HAVE LISTENED INSTEAD OF BEING A DISMISSIVE DOUCHEBAG. What I’m doing is trying to collect people like you because as a fellow white person, your ASS IS SHOWING BADLY. You are coming off as an asshole in this. You are proving once again that we white people don’t get it, can’t get it, won’t get it. Telling you to sit down and shut up is actually my way of trying to get you to preserve some kind of semblance of your own humanity in this. Obviously you don’t give a shit about who you hurt because you just want pretty playthings and don’t care where they come from or what the effect will be. That kind of makes you a selective sociopath.
- sor-ah likes this
- odd-little-echo reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- sexy-little-pookie reblogged this from snugglesfordean
- snugglesfordean reblogged this from thegreatnessideserve
- bookslegosnotherstuff reblogged this from thegreatnessideserve
- t-hy-la reblogged this from thegreatnessideserve
- thegreatnessideserve reblogged this from hamburgerjack
- zhdanovism reblogged this from shessovain
- iamfedup reblogged this from moniquill
- eerie-abyss reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- wearealldoomedsosmile reblogged this from keepcalm-countcalories
- hereitsallalright likes this
- bl2e likes this
- titsandacid14 likes this
- consultinangelinthetardis likes this
- furry-furrets reblogged this from brightlightsandspeedingcars
- keepcalm-countcalories reblogged this from lackingadequacy
- keepcalm-countcalories likes this
- lackingadequacy reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- kellepotato reblogged this from misha-amigo
- misha-amigo reblogged this from johnsmithwillbemyconstant
- mockingbear reblogged this from readsmokewrite
- earthyfleshygoddess reblogged this from riversbed
- blo0dstainedbikinis likes this
- desperadore reblogged this from riversbed and added:
- riversbed reblogged this from goldenghouls
- platinumprincess reblogged this from this-is-not-native
- juniorriengxay likes this
- saviar likes this
- eli-the-giraffe reblogged this from sociophilia
- pearlmother likes this
- tenderflesh reblogged this from sexgenderbody
- akalittleone likes this
- anazzon reblogged this from sexgenderbody
- well-alright likes this
- highstrungpixie reblogged this from sexgenderbody
- b-odyart likes this
- justfalana reblogged this from sexgenderbody
- justfalana likes this
- liudavidddw likes this
- nchl reblogged this from sexgenderbody
- nchl likes this
- woodpanellingpanelling likes this
- jaye-beni-motorcity reblogged this from sexgenderbody
- sexgenderbody reblogged this from sociophilia
- sexgenderbody likes this
- arugulabagels reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- eskim0kisses reblogged this from djammydjam
- djammydjam reblogged this from neo-filipino
- meemzperson reblogged this from mukurohikusaba