[Image: A small very light skinned child, seated, holding an iphone, having their bare back drawn on with colored markers by a hand holding an orange marker. The image being drawn is of a stereotyped native woman wearing an elaborate warbonnet.]
This is how racism starts.
This is how stereotypes are formed in the minds of children.
This is the start of the path that ends with hipsters in war bonnets frolicking in fields half-naked, carrying bottles of booze and getting self-righteously angry (And refusing to learn. And continuing to be angry) when they’re confronted.
When you only speak about Native American people in the past tense, in certain contexts. When you only mention them as pertains to White history. When you depict them in stereotypical ways. This is how it starts.
Depictions like this are hurtful. Teaching your child that this is what they should think of when they hear ‘Native American’ HURTS REAL NATIVE AMERICAN PEOPLE. It creates, in the mind of your child, a stereotype, a caricature, of what Native people do/should look like that erases us in reality and removes us from their perception of the modern world. It turns ‘Native American’ into someone wearing beads and headbands and feathers and face paint. It turns an ethnic, racial identity into a costume.
Here’s a quick checklist for whether it’s ok to wear a war bonnet:
Was it placed onto your head by an elder/legitimate authority figure from a select number of plains nations because you personally achieved something so great that it is worthy of that kind of honor? (corrolary: If yes to the above, are you currently wearing it in an appropriate ceremonial fashion/setting? Like are you at a powwow or speaking with the president?)
If you answered ‘no’ then IT IS NOT OK.
Any more than it would be ok to buy a decorated veteran’s purple heart that he had to pawn and put -that- on for a sexy/edgy/hip photo shoot. It’s that kind of disrespect, on top of the slap in the face that is cultural appropriation in general.
This is a fucking terrible thing to be doing to your child.
There are so many cute, beautiful, non-hurtful ways you could have inducted this child into Modern American Tattoo culture. Maybe try a fucking mermaid or something next time.
She’s not wearing a war bonnet though. It’s a drawing.
Also, something that bothers me about Tumblr’s dogpiling on any light-skinned person in proximity to a war bonnet is that it never seems to occur to them that they could themselves be Native. There are white-passing people who are half or quarter Native, too.
I think that is pretty cute to be honest. Not to mention impressive that its all done with markers. /kanye shrug
Moreover that he asked her “what do you want me to draw?” and she innocently said “Indians :D”
calm ur butts
A child innocently asked ‘Draw Indians’ and the artist chose to draw a busted-ass stereotype, thus teaching the child that that’s what ‘Indians’ means.
That’s several flavors of fucked up.
Even if the people in the photo are NDN, they’re still perpetuating hurtful stereotypes.
Bolded the true parts.
Also, when someone who is actually native - as moniquill is - tells you that something is a stereotype and it hurts, telling them to “calm ur butts” is silencing, dismissive, and perpetuating of racism. Because it just says “anyone who objects to getting treated like shit is not someone to take seriously even though they’re the authority on what ACTUALLY hurts them and what doesn’t.”
People, when folks like moniquill speak and say things and you’re white? YOU SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, AND LISTEN. You don’t tell them to “calm ur butts”. Go step on some legos, taterhater.
- calligraphypen likes this
- youshallnotass likes this
- minionier reblogged this from broadlybrazen
- stringsdafistmcgee likes this
- booasaur likes this
- broadlybrazen reblogged this from skythrown
- pearlyzing likes this
- looseneroflimbs reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- sor-ah likes this
- accelerate-through-the-chaos reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- devilish-lolita reblogged this from unrealisticandnarcissistic
- unrealisticandnarcissistic reblogged this from thegreatnessideserve
- bookslegosnotherstuff reblogged this from thegreatnessideserve
- t-hy-la reblogged this from thegreatnessideserve
- zhdanovism reblogged this from shessovain
- eerie-abyss reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- wearealldoomedsosmile reblogged this from sleepless-chic
- hereitsallalright likes this
- bl2e likes this
- titsandacid14 likes this
- revolutionaryhearts likes this
- furry-furrets reblogged this from youmetmeatastrangeplaceinmylife
- sleepless-chic reblogged this from lackingadequacy
- sleepless-chic likes this
- lackingadequacy reblogged this from loveyourchaos
- kellepotato reblogged this from ackleswantsnackles
- ackleswantsnackles reblogged this from glitteretgore
- mockingbear reblogged this from readsmokewrite
- fleshymoongoddess reblogged this from riversbed
- ohgatesofbabylon likes this
- riversbed reblogged this from goldenghouls
- platinumprincess reblogged this from this-is-not-native
- juniorriengxay likes this
- saviar likes this
- eli-the-giraffe reblogged this from sociophilia
- pearlmother likes this
- tenderflesh reblogged this from sexgenderbody
- akalittleone likes this
- well-alright likes this
- asongofsexandsociety likes this
- justfalana reblogged this from sexgenderbody
- justfalana likes this
- ddwliu likes this
- cherrycancer reblogged this from sexgenderbody
- cherrycancer likes this
- acivilmuffin likes this
- onceuponanochia reblogged this from sexgenderbody
- sexgenderbody reblogged this from sociophilia