I thought about those incidents as I read The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson an essay in The Smithsonian by Henry Wiencek about Jefferson’s career as a slaveholder and the revisionist history surrounding it. Far from being a reluctant slave-holder, Jefferson treated slavery as a lucrative investment.
Some of the most damning evidence of Jefferson’s treatment of his slaves, like records of the beatings they received, were actively suppressed by revisionists and have only recently come to light.
I’m embarassed to admit that I was taken in by revisionist accounts. I imagined that he’d inherited his slaves and only kept them as nominal slaves because he couldn’t afford to set them up as free farmers. Obviously, even at that, slavery was an atrocity. I didn’t want to consider that the co-author of the Declaration of Independence might have kept slaves out of pure greed.
The most disturbing revelation in this story is that Jefferson didn’t just keep slaves to work on his farm. He wrote that his real business model was “the increase” of his female slaves. He was raising human beings to be auctioned off like livestock. Jefferson calculated that the children of his slaves brought in a reliable 4% return per annum. It was a great business, he recommended it to everyone.
In the movies, we know someone’s a benevolent slave-holder if they “don’t break up families.” Well, those are the movies.
The revisionist fiction is that slavery was an unprofitable institution by Jefferson’s time. Wiencek explains how Jefferson breathed new economic life into bonded servitude by devising profitable models for slave labor in factories and wheat fields as tobacco farming was being phased out.
Jefferson spurned a golden opportunity to walk away from the slave trade. An old revolutionary comrade willed Jefferson a small fortune to pay for his slaves’ release and education, but Jefferson refused, even though he was the executor of the will.
George Washington freed his slaves upon his death, but Jefferson didn’t even go that far.
Some defenders will say that it’s unfair to judge Jefferson by the standards of our day, but the fact is, Jefferson fell short of the standards of his own time. He knew it was wrong to own slaves. In fact, his writings helped to set the standards of his day.
Wiencek’s essay was a wakeup call, not just for its revelations about Thomas Jefferson, but for what it said about my own willingness to assume the best about a historical figure I admired.
This wasn’t some “dark side”.
This was his regular side.
Mother fucker bought and sold and raped slaves.
THIS WAS NORMAL
And if the apologists have their way it still will be rationalized away.
He was for mighty whitey man rights ONLY don’t ever be fooled.
The founders were a bunch of criminal ass, slave owning ass, evil ass mother fuckers who are rolling in their graves to even KNOW Black people are free and one of them is the damn president.
FUCK THOMAS JEFFERSON
Cracka ass motha fucker
Is there any way to double bold what’s immediately above because YES. YES. YES.
- siddpr likes this
- starroof reblogged this from branwyn-says
- tadaitsanerd reblogged this from madamethursday
- thenewoctuple reblogged this from mermeanie
- kylixdesigns likes this
- snakerake likes this
- niggawitamacbook likes this
- mermeanie reblogged this from so-treu
- werewolfpussychiapet reblogged this from muckrakingiswomenswork and added:
- problematize reblogged this from bankuei
- xicanaxingona likes this
- buckthestar reblogged this from wildunknownmen
- melancholiacanina reblogged this from wildunknownmen
- menneriello likes this
- wildunknownmen reblogged this from aragingquiet
- bayn reblogged this from bankuei
- gramireus likes this
- lupegarou reblogged this from merryrobot
- treatsandthreads likes this
- mckswift reblogged this from so-treu
- davusignavus likes this
- ch-chandra likes this
- angrytransblogger reblogged this from thymelock
- angrytransblogger likes this
- cakeandpi reblogged this from brashblacknonbeliever
- catalog-dialogue reblogged this from educationforliberation
- lovejanaeee likes this
- thespunkywallflower reblogged this from peaceloveandafropuffs
- okc-misandry reblogged this from guerrillamamamedicine
- sheryllrenata likes this
- thefistofartemis reblogged this from notesonascandal
- notesonascandal reblogged this from peaceloveandafropuffs
- theyjustloveme likes this
- notesonascandal likes this
- peaceloveandafropuffs reblogged this from searchingforknowledge
- wolfbad reblogged this from thursdaysoldier
- nhubooty reblogged this from brashblacknonbeliever
- teenage-werecat reblogged this from brashblacknonbeliever
- fourloves reblogged this from voltron-da-eclair
- wakeupconscious likes this
- okayla likes this
- youaintmybabydoll reblogged this from brashblacknonbeliever
- raining-butterflies likes this
- magicalschoolbustonowhere reblogged this from ibloodbenddicks
- lunarskye likes this
- xoxogothicgirl reblogged this from leidis
- thebookofstyle likes this
- malfeasantmunster likes this
- chasing-whatever likes this