In the predominately White town of Wynne, Ark., an incident last week involving a 14-year-old African-American boy, who was reportedly hazed by fellow White junior varsity football players by placing a noose around his neck, has reached a fever pitch. With racial tensions high in the northeastern Arkansas town, the school board was dogged by questions from both the parents of the involved and outside media—resulting in the expulsion of two students from Wynne High School for the rest of the semester.
Local ABC news affiliate KATV-7 reported on the school board meeting last night (October 3) where over 150 people gathered outside. Much of the hearing was closed to the public, and when the board members emerged, Superintendent Carl Easley did not offer many details regarding the case although a decision was made. Just this morning, it was reported by several outlets that two students will be suspended for the rest of the semester—a much lesser sentence than Easley originally sought.
The victim’s aunt was displeased with the outcome. “It would have satisfied the family if the two young men were expelled for the year. That would have been the right thing,” said Tresha Light. Although students and parents alike say the kids were most likely horsing around with a towel, it appears that there are several sides to the story after police interviewed over 30 students regarding the incident. The victim’s aunt relayed the story on behalf of her nephew that the students built a dummy that was hung in effigy prior to placing a noose around his neck.
With Wynne on the media map, Blacks and Whites are clearly divided on the issue with some thinking the school district may have overreacted. Still, there’s a cautious tension in the air as evidenced by a local CBS affiliate KTHV-11.
The victim’s mother, fearing racial retaliation, has asked news outlets to not identify her son in the case.
Someone please explain to me, like I’m fucking two, how in the hell this is an “overreaction?” If anything, this is a major case of an under-reaction. In my opinion these kids should have at the very least been expelled for the whole damn year or at the most went to court behind this shit.
Oh, and when you’re offering your explanations for this shit white people, don’t you dare give me that “but they’re just teenagers” excuse. If that black boy was old enough to have something this horrifically racist done to him (which will haunt him every day for the rest of his life), these white kids are old enough to face the full repercussions of their actions.
they should have been expelled. the school district should have done nothing else.
i just… i can’t
- injustice-everywhere reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- iveseengayerthings reblogged this from mpencil
- mpencil reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- cantbelieveididthis reblogged this from icanfeelthechanges
- xpressyourself likes this
- hansume33 reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- kush-and-politics likes this
- ithinkimgettingthefear likes this
- icanfeelthechanges reblogged this from sailorcedes
- ravenyub reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- sailorcedes reblogged this from ranikahaani and added:
- ranikahaani reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- crazysexycool13 likes this
- racismschool likes this
- trueplayashit likes this
- signofamotekun reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- signofamotekun likes this
- mangokillthemall reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- qcinearchist likes this
- disciplesofmalcolm reblogged this from dirtcrass
- dirtcrass reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- newzat10 reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- karmaofmytits reblogged this from karnythia
- knockingonheavensdoortonight reblogged this from wontbetelevised
- g0ld-elephants reblogged this from prayingforafrica
- wehavedonetheimpossible reblogged this from theonigumo
- theonigumo reblogged this from kalactus
- kalactus reblogged this from wontbetelevised and added:
- inheritedinsanity reblogged this from wontbetelevised
- wontbetelevised reblogged this from blackmanonthemoon
- theycallmeskittles reblogged this from void-liminality
- thoughshesfeminine reblogged this from thenewwomensmovement
- undermycamoskirt reblogged this from karnythia
- lightningnymph reblogged this from redvioletsquares
- that-one-tragic-person likes this
- redvioletsquares reblogged this from queenabaddon
- queenabaddon reblogged this from brashblacknonbeliever
- palmate reblogged this from brashblacknonbeliever
- wolffuckinghaley reblogged this from cashmerethoughtsss
- evermean reblogged this from reverseracism
- misshelenyvonne reblogged this from addisuns
- jazebow likes this
- sinnerstouch reblogged this from whitedenial-ontrial
- addisuns reblogged this from mermeanie
- thisistheurlformyblogdoyoulikeit likes this
- sessile29 reblogged this from ai-yo
- misandristscum reblogged this from theyalwayswantyoutoproveit
- theyalwayswantyoutoproveit reblogged this from sourcedumal