[Image: A screencap of an anonymous ask and response.
The ask reads: ”what are your thoughts on abortion in the third trimester, when the baby is no longer a clump of cells but a hiccuping, kicking child attached to your uterus?”
The response reads: “Only about 1% of abortions happen after 21 weeks. Of those abortions that happen after 21 weeks, only 2% of them happen during the third trimester. That means third-trimester abortions account for 0.0002% of abortions.
Access to third-trimester abortions is severely restricted in almost every state except in cases where life or health is in jeopardy. Meaning, they’re performed pretty much exclusively because the mother’s well-being or the viability of the child has become compromised. (The U.S. Supreme court defines viability as “the capacity for meaningful life outside the womb.”)
So, my thoughts are that those abortions are a tragedy often performed to great mental, emotional, and physical anguish of the parents involved. My thoughts are that, just like every other abortion, it’s absolutely no one’s business but that of the parents’ and their doctors. And my thoughts are that anyone who tries to exploit that tragedy as part of a pseudo-moral political platform is a Grade A cunt.”]
Rebloggable, as requested.
Ooooooh. Facts on facts on facts.
I hate questions like this because they’re not only red herrings, but they miss the point. Even if, like, 50% of abortions were after 21 weeks, even if there were lines and lines of pregnant people who were going around getting abortions into their second and third trimesters, I’d still support them. I’d still fight for their right to make the decision, have safe facilities and competent, caring docs to perform the procedures, and freedom from assholes deriding them for it.
The point of it is that it doesn’t matter about the stage or if the fetus can kick or move or fucking do the Macarena.
We don’t let people USE each other’s bodies without permission so if a pregnant person wants to NOT BE PREGNANT at any point in that pregnancy, they can do that. They don’t owe a fetus anything just because WOOP, bits of genetic material started getting their mitosis on and suddenly there was a thing capable of one day being a full human being in there.
You don’t get to just show up in someone’s womb and say, “Well, I own this shit now, hope you enjoy the next 40 weeks and the whole labor and delivery bit, cause you can’t do anything about it, sucka!” - and society doesn’t get to say that on anyone’s behalf TO a pregnant person. Which is what anti-choice is. Telling someone with a womb, “Sucks for you, but you’re just gonna have to have a baby because everyone else’s interest in your womb overrides your own and we said so and we’re going to make laws and manipulate economic circumstances and shut down clinics and make spaces unsafe and kill doctors ‘til you get that.”
Your womb is yours. You own it absolutely and if you wanna say “get the fuck out of there fetus” at 10 weeks or 30 weeks, that’s your right. You don’t need to justify the reason to any damn person. If it’s because your health is failing, because the fetus isn’t viable, or because Mercury is in fucking retrograde, it is no one’s business to tell you otherwise.
BECAUSE YOU OWN YOUR BODY - INCLUDING AND ESPECIALLY YOUR REPRODUCTIVE BITS - ABSOLUTELY.
Also, I wouldn’t call this grayface a cunt. They lack the depth or the warmth (as the saying goes). I’d call them a rancid half-frozen turd on the sidewalk of life. But not a cunt.
- susheep likes this
- satou reblogged this from susheep
- frecklesandlime likes this
- everybodynicesweaters likes this
- mars-bartlett likes this
- trobador reblogged this from synekdokee
- helenakoonings likes this
- deathdoomanddestruction reblogged this from delacroix
- knockoutroundabout reblogged this from the-gay-of-gay
- funkymonkeh likes this
- thatsonewaytoputit reblogged this from caitlinrosebud
- caitlinrosebud reblogged this from itsakindofdalek
- badndngirl likes this
- eccaswv reblogged this from karnythia
- 1000peoplerioted reblogged this from opinionatedlez
- postapocalypticarisen reblogged this from alanahikarichan
- soundsightmind likes this
- ijustlikecatsidk reblogged this from mumimafeminist
- theimaginarytraveler likes this
- beingawhoreisnotclassy reblogged this from tinydragongina
- oceannblues likes this
- xobutterfly69 reblogged this from guavabutt
- olgg likes this
- pinkamenadash likes this
- lighthouseaccident reblogged this from moeby
- lighthouseaccident likes this
- crakkers reblogged this from moeby
- crakkers likes this
- moeby reblogged this from malaptica
- theplainalarmist reblogged this from delacroix
- beatstompers likes this
- ardentaislinn reblogged this from thymeladykatl
- ardentaislinn likes this
- ktcomplicated reblogged this from feministsbakecupcakestoo
- polishingrocksinyour reblogged this from the-donner-after-party
- thatdoesntamuseme reblogged this from the-donner-after-party
- evrymorning likes this
- thymeladykatl reblogged this from malaptica
- akissoffire reblogged this from downtonsassbey
- merelyperception reblogged this from funnierthanjesus
- mikelnichols reblogged this from thetallawkwardginger
- bearclawsstringfield reblogged this from im-mykey-i-rock
- im-mykey-i-rock reblogged this from funnierthanjesus
- polishingrocksinyour likes this
- brittanyitsdecember22nd reblogged this from madelineinvines
- beckerbell likes this
- downtonsassbey reblogged this from rattus--norvegicus
- revenge-of-the-sock-puppets reblogged this from the-donner-after-party and added:
- the-donner-after-party reblogged this from madelineinvines
- themischiefoftad likes this