[Image: A graphic that shows a four ounce cut of red meat next to a four ounce pile of black beans. Beneath the slice of red meat is a list of the nutritional facts: “24 grams protein. 320 Calories. High acidity. High cholesterol. Saturated fat. No fiber. Heterocycilic Amines. Beneath the black beans are the nutritional facts: “24 grams protein. 120 calories. Lower acidity. No cholesterol. No Saturated fat. 9 grams fiber. Phytonutrients.]
“Oh but you need protein” trolololol
I’m not vegan or vegetarian but it’s always bothered me when people who eat meat would throw the “protein” line at vegans and vegetarians. Haven’t they ever seen a food pyramid? Beans (well…legumes) are part of the meat group. Beans also provide iron (learned that when I got hospitalized due to anemia).
Can we just talk about the brain-breaking fact that our culture-wide eating disorder has gotten to the point that it’s generally universally accepted that calories = bad and that having fewer calories indicates that a food is better?
Calories are energy.
That is what calories are.
The piece of meat provides more nutrition than the beans because it it gives your body more calories to do shit with, like building and powering cells.
This is not a moral imperative or a hierarchical premise; it is fact. In the event that your body is readily able to digest both (not the case for every body at every time) The meat, having more calories, provides more nutrition.
Having more calories does not make the meat the worse choice, which is what the above graphic and many graphics like it imply.
THANK YOU. Plus if you are poor and cooking you assure yourself and those you cook for more energy with the meat that is LESS labor intensive than the beans if the beans aren’t canned.
Not everyone is always on a diet
While black beans are not themselves one of the Big Eight food allergens, it is incredibly common for people to react to legumes in general if they react to one (like soy). Contrary to popular song, beans are not a magical fruit - and it doesn’t matter if those beans are cheaper if they make you sick.
To build on moniquill’s point, fat is incredibly important to a “balanced diet,” too. Not having any fat in your diet will kill you. The dangers of saturated fat are debatable at best and the effect of dietary cholesterol on most people’s cholesterol is negligible; your personal cholesterol is much more a product of genetics. Anyway, fat gives you energy and makes you feel full, in addition to being tasty (I like black beans, don’t get me wrong, but I like them even better mixed in with some source of delicious fat).
Related: When my mother-in-law was visiting after my daughter was born, I asked her to heat up some microwave macaroni and cheese for me for lunch. She did so—and gave me half the tray. I had to ask for the other half. ”Oh, you wanted the WHOLE THING?” she said, concern-trolling me with her eyes.
Uh, yes, I did, especially since I AM LACTATING. I asked for the damn mac ‘n’ cheese specifically BECAUSE IT IS HIGH FAT, thanks. Also I like mac ‘n’ cheese.
This person tried to call that a picture of “ground beef”. LOLOLOLOL. Really? You do know what actual ground beef looks like as opposed to a four ounce (actually, probably more) cut of what looks like top sirloin.
Actually know your goddamn meat before you’re going to start spewing shit. A cut of meat like that at 4oz would actually have (raw)
Calories: 224 calories
24 grams protein
I’m not sure where this person is getting their “high acidity” rating from or why they’re counting that as some kind of negative because a lot of foods are high acid and not bad for you overall. Many fruits (oh hai over there Mr. Citrus Fruit!) are just fine with have a waaaay high acidity level.
More over, fuck off. Just fuck off lucifelle. Just fuck right the hell off. You food shaming, fat shaming, food policing asshole.
I don’t give a shit about your attempt to vegangelize to us here by trying to convince us that OH NO MEAT IS NUTRITIONALLY EBIL OH NOES! When you apparently can’t tell ground beef from a cut of top sirloin (correct me if I’m wrong about the cut here).
Also? Cholesterol isn’t always a bad thing. There are different types. LDL and HDL. One is actually called the “good” cholesterol. Neither is fat always bad and there are many types of it. Monounsaturated, polyunsatured, trans fat, saturated fat.
Oh, and your cute little “heterocycilic amines” thing (which hey, for someone trying to convince us ignorant and stubborn carnivores of our sinful meat eating ways, you sure didn’t explain SHIT) is also shit. The science is shaky at best, showing correlations rather than causation and hey - the science that does exist shows that you can cut HCA’s in cooked meat with MARINADES. Yep. That’s right. Science says, marinade your delicious juicy cuts of meat (you know, the meat that iSN’T GROUND BEEF AT ALL, YOU IGNORANT FUCK) before you enjoy.
So how about you take your privilege-denying, food/body/health-shaming bullshit and eat it on a plate, because it’s useless and it’s dangerous to actual human beings.
- whoooopie likes this
- mandily likes this
- healthyxfit-girl reblogged this from putmyselftotest
- classy-lass likes this
- gymbunnyy reblogged this from b-phit
- keke25virgo likes this
- getmotivate-d reblogged this from b-phit
- eidstein likes this
- phit-ness reblogged this from b-phit and added:
- trainlikeavalkyrie reblogged this from b-phit
- casiseveryonesunicorn reblogged this from b-phit and added:
- justtrunn reblogged this from b-phit
- b-phit reblogged this from qugoriafitblr
- kayialluna likes this
- curses-invocations reblogged this from tea-and-insanity
- euro-fit likes this
- euro-fit reblogged this from tea-and-insanity
- beginningnutrition likes this
- applesandsquats reblogged this from tiredofstartingovergirl
- applesandsquats likes this
- captswagg reblogged this from tea-and-insanity
- tiredofstartingovergirl reblogged this from tea-and-insanity
- kooliocoolz reblogged this from tea-and-insanity
- fromsnickerdoodlestoapples reblogged this from want-fight
- dancing-fitness reblogged this from tea-and-insanity
- want-fight reblogged this from tea-and-insanity
- candyleaves likes this
- lemonteaandingbeautifully reblogged this from tea-and-insanity
- fitstronghealthysexy likes this
- tea-and-insanity reblogged this from fitness-for--lifeexx
- thenicejen reblogged this from fitnessriotxo
- findingfithealth reblogged this from fitnessforthismiss
- stilletosinsync likes this
- healthypapa reblogged this from lets-get-fit-dont-quit
- fitnessforthismiss reblogged this from lets-get-fit-dont-quit
- lets-get-fit-dont-quit reblogged this from beauty-and-fitness
- liftand-stretch reblogged this from allaroundhealth and added:
- stopbeingscaredstartliving likes this
- littlebitchnamedkarma likes this
- paolahuerta98 likes this
- struckwithinspiration reblogged this from the-fit-vegan
- rosiestacie reblogged this from myveggieplate and added:
- myveggieplate reblogged this from the-fit-vegan
- impossibleactions likes this
- feelinglikeanidiot reblogged this from fitness-for--lifeexx
- newbiie14 reblogged this from fitness-for--lifeexx
- thepathwaytosexeh reblogged this from qugoriafitblr
- qugoriafitblr reblogged this from fitness-for--lifeexx
- bethoughtfulofyourself likes this
- super-skinnyfit reblogged this from fitness-for--lifeexx