The first picture is of my great great grandfather, Baldwin Olson. He collected Native American relics, such as arrow heads, ceremonial pipes, axes, etc that he found on the farm he lived on, in Breckenridge, Minnesota. My grandfather told me that when he was a kid, he’d wander around on the farm, and find arrowheads. He’d give the arrowheads to Baldwin, and for each arrowhead he found, he’d receive 50 cents for it. I always thought that was pretty cool.
At some point, Baldwin (or someone else who lived on that farm) found a Native American skull, that you see sitting on the shelf in the first picture, and surrounded in the trinkets in the second picture. When Baldwin died, his family donated the skull and other relics to a museum in Minnesota, because they had no use for those things. The skull wasn’t in the museum for long before a group of Native Americans found it to be offensive. The skull was removed from the museum, and given back to the Olsons. It has been in my family for about 60 or 70 years now, maybe longer than that.
The skull now sits in a glass cabinet in my aunts room, beside her bed, which you can see in the second picture.
Um. I almost started crying when I saw/read this. And I kind of want to throw up. This is genocide, everyone. White people keeping body parts as family heirlooms. Do y’all not have any sense of morality? Right from wrong? Is your family that devoid of any kind of empathy for people? For fucking, fellow human beings, that you would keep a person’s skull as a keepsake? Jesus fucking christ, this is horrific.
And then you decide to post it on the internet like…oh, by the way! Fun fact!
Just…further degradation of this PERSON. Someone’s FAMILY MEMBER.
Co-signing everything liquornspice said. Sweet fuck, but this is one of the most atrocious, unacceptable, evil things I’ve ever heard of.
- dubmeister reblogged this from ndnsurgency
- dubmeister likes this
- vladislava likes this
- knightoftaurus reblogged this from rematiration
- tealrallythong reblogged this from rematiration and added:
- clareer likes this
- marzipanowls likes this
- thequeenofpoison likes this
- oiyrpunkrockgrrrl reblogged this from rematiration and added:
- peacefullyloud likes this
- rematiration reblogged this from blackraincloud
- kbutno reblogged this from fyeahcap and added:
- discovercat reblogged this from karnythia
- afrafemme reblogged this from jalwhite
- ibtk likes this
- beckfromthedead reblogged this from goddessofcheese and added:
- anakisa likes this
- theghostoflectricity likes this
- will-graham-i-am reblogged this from desliz and added:
- conmodos reblogged this from fyeahcap
- adire-adire reblogged this from fyeahcap and added:
- yvonensadultsleepover likes this
- officinarums likes this
- breatheboho reblogged this from thenarglesdontbelieveinyoueither and added:
- nooffswitch likes this
- canering likes this
- tockthewatchdog reblogged this from fyeahcap
- rumandstars likes this
- desliz reblogged this from optimistic-red-velvet-walrus and added:
- asapdothraki likes this
- commanderbishoujo reblogged this from pocketpilot and added:
- dignified-and-old likes this
- optimistic-red-velvet-walrus reblogged this from dignified-and-old and added:
- cutietown likes this
- nuancedvagina reblogged this from desliz
- nuancedvagina likes this
- sehvn likes this
- goddessofcheese reblogged this from pocketpilot and added:
- dignified-and-old reblogged this from desliz and added:
- pocketpilot reblogged this from goddessofcheese and added:
- lettyortiz likes this
- sweet-the-sting reblogged this from karnythia
- snarkengaged reblogged this from caligaes and added:
- kayyasha reblogged this from goddessofcheese and added:
- nakkyy reblogged this from ihavethisblog and added:
- antema likes this
- tunafatty likes this
- youwouldreblogtoanything reblogged this from ihavethisblog
- castiel-angel-of-thorsday reblogged this from madamethursday and added:
- sara-huynh reblogged this from karnythia and added: