- How they feel so guilty
- How bad they feel about racism and about their own privilege
- How angry they are to realize that racism/privilege and other oppressions/inequities exist
- How they now understand how non-white people feel being oppressed by racism because they also…
Sooooo, in an open dialogue between a white person and a POC about racism / white privilege, that white person is then not allowed to comment on how much those things suck, or express that they are upset about white privilege existing?
I mean, I’m going to be straight up here: I hate white privilege. I hate it because it means that I am automatically better off than other people for literally NO reason. And I hate that. It makes me an instant enemy, and I hate that. I hate that people would feel instantly uncomfortable with me. I understand, of course, WHY they do, but it’s still something that I wish I could make go away. I wish I could make privilege go away, and throw everyone on equal ground. But I’m not allowed to express that sentiment?
Well, the way I understand it, is generally it’s not about you. POC don’t really want to hear about how much you hate/feel guilty/ashamed/embarrassed about privilege, because, frankly, it’s pointless and it doesn’t solve anything.
I don’t think anyone hates privilege more than those who don’t have it, so hearing someone who does have it talk about how much they hate it…I think it would be like rubbing salt in the wound.
We get it: privilege is bad. I think a more productive way of talking about privilege would be how to properly identify it and address it, because there are so many people out there who have privilege and don’t even know what it is. That, I think, is more productive than talking about how much it sucks.
Does that make sense? I hope it does.
I do understand that. I guess that it’s just a little upsetting that there can’t be any sort of dialogue about how much it sucks that I can actually participate in. I understand the salt-in-the-wound idea (only in theory, of course), it’s just a little unnerving, I suppose.
…And NOW is when it hits me that doing the “I hate white privilege” thing is roughly the same as dudes talking to feminists going “Well patriarchy hurts men, too!”
Damnit. I’m an ass.
I mean this in all honestly and not in a snarky way at all, but why didn’t you finally get this until a White person pointed it out to you? And why have you not extended any acknowledgment or credit to the people of color saying the exact same thing in this conversation?
I definitely recommend reading the entire conversation.
- betterthanrl likes this
- 23andchildfree likes this
- androidbromance likes this
- asfadedasmyjeans reblogged this from tigersmilk
- tigersmilk reblogged this from madamethursday
- aletheiae likes this
- jawswasnevermyscene reblogged this from princessnijireiki
- quelola likes this
- fishwithoutabike likes this
- likesomeicecream likes this
- willardpedia likes this
- bendoverbarbie likes this
- politicalarchive reblogged this from sapphrikah
- senticolis reblogged this from fishwithoutabike
- aimsme reblogged this from fishwithoutabike and added:
- holothuroid likes this
- likesaltedearth reblogged this from madamethursday and added:
- noteuroasian likes this
- cuterest-uterus likes this
- crossedwires reblogged this from jhameia
- crossedwires likes this
- annlarimer likes this
- marilynstays likes this
- joyofbeing reblogged this from karnythia
- thecurvature likes this
- tigersmilk likes this
- tariqk reblogged this from jhameia
- liftedtruth likes this
- radiuss likes this
- neoafrican likes this
- manif3stlove reblogged this from queennubian
- strugglingtobeheard reblogged this from madamethursday and added:
- queennubian reblogged this from howtobeterrell
- jhameia reblogged this from madamethursday and added:
- badwomancreative likes this
- eshusplayground reblogged this from the-doctor-dances and added:
- polerin reblogged this from karnythia and added:
- missmokushiroku likes this
- withapma likes this
- deepfriedcoconutbutter likes this
- choirperson likes this
- chameleonarcher reblogged this from karnythia
- ethiopienne likes this
- howtobeterrell likes this
- workingforvacation likes this
- unpeacefulsoul likes this
- hardheartedhannah likes this
- abagond reblogged this from karnythia
- dreams-from-my-father likes this
- karnythia reblogged this from chameleonarcher and added: